Youtube is the official add-on from Kodi. Some of the add-ons install Youtube into Kodi for you. YouTube can be a greate source of streaming. You can discover many movies and tv shows that are difficult to find in other Kodi add-ons, especially non-english materials. With this add-on, you can enjoy unlimitted streams right from your TV screen instead of PC monitor and browsers.
However, you need to set up and configure YouTube correctly else you will ge error messages like “Exception in ContentProvider” and “Quota Exceeded”. This is because the API keys used in this add-on is capped by Google. Google caps API usage for their applications (such as Google maps, Youtube etc). So the solution is we generate our own API keys to avoid the capping.
Here is the article that guide you how to set up YouTube add-on with just a few simple steps. Actually we just need to generate an API key, Client ID (API ID) and Client Secret key (API Secret) from Google, then enter into YouTube Kodi.
- Step 1: Login to Google via your gmail account. Go to https://console.cloud.google.com/start. You will see a welcome message. You need to at least click "Yes" radio button (second one) for terms and conditions. Click "AGREE AND CONTINUE".
- Step 2: At the main page of Google Console Cloud, scroll down a bit and click on "Create an empty project".
- Step 3: Enter a project name, example "Youtube-Kodi". Then "Create".
- Step 4: At the dashboard page, Click "API Manager" then select "Credentials".
- Step 5: At Credentials page, click "Create credentials" and select "API key".
- Step 6: The system will generate a 39-charecter string. Click "CLOSE".
- Step 7: Go to "OAuth consent screen" tab.
- Step 8: You email address is automatically displayed. We just need to enter Project name shown to users. Example "Youbute in Kodi", leave blank for the rest then click "Save".
- Step 9: Now back to "Credentials" tab and click "Create credentials" and select "OAuth client ID"
- Step 10: Click on the radio button "Other" and name the application, example "Carol", then click "Create".
- Step 11: The system will generate a 45-charecter string for Client ID key. Later you just need to enter the string without ".app.googleusercontent.com". You also have 24-charecter string for Client secret key. Click "OK".
- Step 12: Now we need to enable the API keys. Go back to the Dashboard and click "Enable API".
- Step 13: At "Library", select "YouTube Data API" at the bottom.
- Step 14: Click "Enable" again. Remember the 3 keys from Google.
- Step 15: Activate your Kodi and go to "Add-ons" and run "YouTube".
- Step 16: Select "Settings".
- Step 17: Select "API", enable the button for "Enable Personal API Keys". You will see three empty fields.
- Step 18: Either can and paste the three keys into the fields or manually key-in. Careful of "1" and "l", "0" and "O". Click "OK" after verify you entries.
With this, you are done and able to enjoy powerful YouTube streaming.