(New) Updated 25 Oct 2017 - Kodi 17.5.1 Released.
The Kodi team has pushed v17.5.1 of Kodi with a hotfix for those who found that Kodi wouldn’t launch after updating to v17.5. Kodi 17.5.1 is available to download from the Kodi website or in the Google Play Store for Android devices.
(New) Updated 22 Oct 2017 - Kodi 17.5 Released.
- Joysticks: Fix accelerometers preventing screensaver
- More robust way of handling audio output on variety of Android devices
- Fix playback of DVD file over network on Linux
- Update to FFmpeg 3.1.11
- Fix up and down buttons on ir remotes with macOS High Sierra
- Added latest apple devices to allow retina support
- Fix not being able to add content manually to videolibrary
- Fix power message handling for CEC
- Fix jumping timeline while switching channel groups in Guide window
The Kodi team has released the production version of Kodi 17 (Krypton - Superman's home planet), almost a year after the release of Kodi 16 Jarvis. The latest release has a large number of updates and improvements, as well as a whole new interface. Here is a summary of major improvements in Kodi 17:
1) New Default Skin: Estuary and Estouchy (for touch-enabled devices) - modern look and clean user interface compared with the old default Confluence skin in previous version. Yes, you still can roll back to Confluence setting if you want.
2) Improved Settings Page - different options are better grouped and there are help text to explain individual option.
3) Add-on Manager Changes - A major overhaul and making things easy for users. Also, improved privacy with "Unknown sources" option for third party add-ons / repositories installation.
4) Better PVR Settings - New PVR is easier to use compared to the old one.
5) New Web Interface - Install "Chorus2" new web interface on your Kodi device and you can use a computer/mobile/tablet to access your music/movie/tv/add-on collection through a browser and select what you want to play.
6) New Video Player - enables playback from DVD discs/files. Updates to video rendering dan openGL drivers. Complete rewrite audio/video syncing (less audio offset audio).
7) Kodi 17 also has some noteworthy Android-only changes. The minimum Android version has been moved from Android 4.2 to 5.0, and if you have a powerful device, 4K decoding and output now works much better. DTS-HD, DTS-X, Dolby TrueHD, and Dolby ATMOS audio pass-through is also now supported.
8) Music Library - tag reading and scraping and many more....
Android users with version 5.0 and above can upgrade to Kodi 17 to enjoy the new features.
However, not all add-ons (example azdrama) and builds (example mystream) are compatible with Kodi 17. So you need to find out and decide.
For now, let's install Kodi 17 and I will use Kodi under Windows as example.
*Note : You device most likely will autoupdate from Kodi 16.x to latest Kodi 17. For any reasons, if you want to roll back to Kodi 16.x, you are not able to find it at Kodi official download page now. You can get it from another page of Kodi official website - http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/
1. Go to Kodi homepage.
2. Select "Windows Installer".
3. Run the downloaded file to start Kodi Setup Wizard.
4. Read the agreement and click "I Agree" to proceed.
5. Click "next" to accept the default components setting.
6. Default files location is at "Program Files" folder. You can change if you want. Click "Next" to proceed.
7. You only see this step if you have old Kodi installed in your disk. Click "Yes" to override the old code and upgrade to Kodi 17. If you want to keep both copies, then select another folder for Kodi 17.
8. Start Menu Folder is call Kodi. Click "Install" to proceed.
9. Setup Wizard will first uninstall your old Kodi if any.
10. Now installing Kodi 17.
11. Installation is completed. Click "Finish" and you can start new Kodi at the same time.
12. Wow! Now you are at Kodi 17 start up page.
13. If you override the old Kodi just now, then those add-ons are still there and can be used as normal. Else this area should be empty.
14. Click the icon at the top left corner.
15. Click on "System information".
16. Here, you can verify the Kodi version. You are in Krypton now!
Future tutorials in this blog will be mostly based on Kodi 17.